What are the Main Causes of Mouth Ulcers?
Mouth ulcers or canker sores are small white painful lesions that can appear on the cheek interiors, on lips, underneath the tongue and in some cases on the mouth palate. Some people face this problem too frequently and when these mouth ulcers appear frequently, one starts wondering what causes mouth ulcers. You need to know its causes in order to prevent this problem. Here are the main causes of mouth ulcers.
Causes of Mouth Ulcers
Some common causes of mouth ulcers include:
- viral infections
- trauma - Known for causing ulcers in children. It can occur due to various reasons like dental appliance, cheek biting, sharp tooth, harsh toothbrush etc.
- hand, foot and mouth disease
- bacterial infection - Mycobacterium tuberculosis, Treponema pallidum and bacterial infections like gingivitis are also responsible for mouth ulcers
- dietary causes such as vitamin C, vitamin B12 and Zinc deficiencies
- unhealthy or weak immune system
- hormonal changes - Mouth ulcers due to hormonal change are mainly found in women.
- crohn's disease
- medications - Such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like pain killers can cause mouth ulcers
- beta-blockers - Used to treat conditions like hypertension, angina, heart failure etc. Anemia
- mental stress
- genetic factors
- spicy food
- drugs like antibiotics
- food allergy
Mouth Ulcers Treatments
There are many ways to treat mouth ulcers at home. Gargling with tomato juice twice a day is an effective home remedy for mouth ulcers. Maintain a proper diet menu by including lot of vitamin C, B12 and Zinc rich food sources. Chewing 2-3 holy basil leaves is another home remedy for mouth ulcers. You can also go for medical mouth ulcers treatments like gel, painkillers and corticosteroids in order to heal the ulcers faster.